Our Craft Room Turned Distance Learning Homeschool Room Reveal + Functional Homeschool Desk Ideas for Elementary School
Long before the days of distance learning at home I planned to change an unused bedroom upstairs into the perfect craft room for our girls. So this post will be two-fold! I am going to share our brand new craft room turned distance learning homeschool room + functional homeschool desk ideas as well! Adding distance learning/home school to our life was unexpected but that is life and we are rolling with it! I wanted to create a space for the girls to be able to focus, away from distractions (and their brothers!) This space really came together with both in mind and I hope it inspires you while you navigate designing your own craft room or homeschool room!
Craft Room For Kids Ideas
The hours my girls spend doing crafts independently far out ways the mess they create in the process. For this reason I decided to give them their own space away from our popular playroom/downstairs to really let their creative juices flow. It doesn’t hurt that I can also shut the door and not focus on the “mess.” I would venture to say that they’re learning more while they’re unassisted creating than when I try to offer structured crafts to them so while the room gets messy quickly I know that they are better for it. Hence why I put quotations around the word MESS.
Craft Table | Desk For Kids
We have had quite a few craft tables but as the girls have gotten older I wanted to give them their own. Then when we were faced with distance learning / homeschooling last spring I knew this was needed. Below are a few tables we have had as well as the ones we chose for this room that’ll serve as great functional homeschool desk ideas!
- Rectangle Landry Craft Table: This was the craft table we used from age 2 until now (Lo is 5) and it is perfect for them!
- Round Landry Craft Table: We have this one now for the twins (age 2!) This one is out of stock currently
Functional Homeschool Room + Desk Ideas
Storage is huge when it comes to craft space. I wanted a desk that had plenty of storage for supplies but also desk space for creating! With the following items I think I accomplished just that!
Functional Homeschool Desk Ideas: Furniture + Storage
- PÅHL Desk with add-on unit: This desk comes in two sizes and both are super affordable! We have the longer one for extra desk space! Also this desk adjust heights for your child as they grow!
- Clear Plastic Table Protector: I bought these which fit perfectly on the longer table above and is kept in place nicely by the add-on unit of the desk. This makes the desk easy to wipe clean!
- Storage Cart (Under The Desk): IRIS USA SBC-356E 6-Drawer Scrapbook Cart with Organizer Top, White
- Bench Seat: This is a part of the Target Landry Set mentioned above BUT here are some other seats I considered:
Craft Room Turned Distance Learning Homeschool Room Ideas
Functional Homeschool Desk Ideas: Decor
Aside from just crafts I wanted to make this a space they can do school safely from home as well! I decorated the space with some uplifting art and pieces that will serve a purpose as we possibly learn from home this year!
See below the details of the space!
- Opal + Olive: Wood Signs: These signs really brightened up the space!
- Minted The Little Artist Shelf: This is where I will hang work that the girls have done as well as upcoming topics and sight words!
Home Learning Activities for Kindergarten & First Grade
- Free Noun Sight Word Worksheet
- Common Vs. Proper Noun Lesson
- Free Number Bonds Game
- Free Frozen Inspired Worksheet
- Fun Sight Word Activity
I hope these functional homeschool desk ideas have inspired you to give your little learners a fun space to be creative AND learn this year! Enjoy!
Make sure you follow along on social media for more!