Floor beds are a great option for toddlers and in this post I am going to explain the benefits of floor beds and how to make your own!
I get asked all the time about how we handled the inevitable switch from a crib to “big kid” bed! My answer is easy and it is always: floor beds! Floor beds for toddlers are (in my opinion) underrated and it has always been my goal to raise awareness on the benefits of floor beds!
Typically parents start to think about making the switch from a crib when their little one begins climbing out or generally show that they are craving their own independence. For us it was a lot more cut and dry than that. I was pregnant with our second baby, and although our first would only be 16 months old when she came, I wasn’t about to buy another crib! See, I can be thrifty too (LOL).
After much research I came across this idea of a floor bed and I am so thankful I did. From that moment on I wondered why anyone did anything other than a crib to floor bed transition! After transitioning both our girls now from a crib to a floor bed I can honestly say the idea is genius.
Here are the 5 benefits of floor beds for toddlers:
- The first benefit of a floor bed for toddlers is probably the most obvious of reasons. One of the first worries you have as a parent is his or her child rolling out of bed after transitioning them out of a crib.This is something you don’t have to stress about with a floor bed because even if they do roll off, it’s not much of fall at all!
- Probably the second biggest concern I hear is that they won’t ever fall asleep or stay in bed. And honestly, that’s a concern with any bed but a floor bed almost encourages them to get up and move around BUT that’s not a bad thing! The idea of a floor bed stems from Maria Montessori’s way of thinking which stresses independence and freedom for the child within limits. You can read more about those specifics HERE.
So yes, they may get out of bed and wander around the room (which is why it’s so important to baby proof the room first and use a baby gate on the door like mentioned here) but this is what they’re supposed to do!
They may take longer to fall asleep at first, or they may fall asleep on the floor for the first few attempts but eventually they WILL fall asleep and they WILL stay in bed. How long that takes varies per child. This is all part of their natural development that teaches them their own sleep cues and boundaries.
- You can create a floor bed relatively cheap! You can make things super cheap and simply put a mattress on the floor and just like that, you have a floor bed. Or you can get creative and make one using my FREE DIY House Frame Floor Bed Plans found here, which is still a money saving idea if you have someone handy to do this for you!
There are so many possibilities when it comes to floor beds and you can truly do as much or as little aesthetically as you want! Here are just a few!
House Frame Floor Bed (FREE DIY here):
Make your own like the creative mama of @Greyslittlecloset did for him:
Buy a trundle bed frame and take off the trundle wheels:
- Their newfound independence will surely be your morning’s savior! Instead of crying from their crib, or crying to get down from bed, they will be freely able to explore and play in their bedroom.
This independent play is not only good for them but also GREAT for the tired parents! I would be able to get a solid 30 minutes extra in the mornings by not needing to go grab them right away.
- Their bed becomes an inviting place where they are eager to go. Not only just for sleep but for relaxing too. I can’t tell you the amount of times my girls have been found just sitting on their beds with all of their stuffed animals reading a book.
As they grows, their bed will always be accessible and their own little hang out space. I will also never have to ease their fears of monsters under the bed because that would simply be impossible (kidding, kind of!)
If you want an independent child who doesn’t look at bedtime as a bad thing, then a floor bed is right for you! I hope you enjoyed this read all about floor beds and let us know what you think below!
Looking for more floor bed ideas and inspiration? You can see my Floor Beds 101 post here.
Enjoy! And follow along on my social channels for more: