Bath Time For Eczema Prone Babies
This post is sponsored by Gerber Childrenswear. All insights are 100% my own.
All four of my children have had eczema in some form as a baby, but one of my littlest guys’ has taken the lead in severity. It seems that no matter what we do, his skin is just so irritated and itchy. We finally have a routine down now that seems to soothe his skin and help alleviate the itchiness. Here are my go-to products that have helped with bath time for my eczema prone babies!
If you look at Beau’s skin on any day, it is likely irritated in some form so managing his skin has been a challenge. I find when I use the following (and most importantly stay consistent) his skin looks much better after a few days and I can generally keep it under control this way as well! I have to give a huge thank you to my friends/followers on Instagram because a lot of this came as recommendations from them after posting on my insta-stories so I knew if it worked for them it was worth trying! So here they are:
- The Bath: I start with a lukewarm bath for the boys and as I fill up the bathtub I include a packet of these AVEENO Baby Fragrance Free Soothing Bath Treatment (also available as an add-on HERE). For regular baths with the twins, I use these Summer Infant – My Bath Seats but sometimes if my guy’s skin is really bad, I will take the seat out and lay him in the bathtub with the bath treatment (and me holding his head) for a few minutes to let his whole body soak.
- Immediately After The Bath:
- The Towel Matters! Technique really matters when you’re dealing with eczema prone skin, especially on babies, and the type of material that touches their skin can really be a huge factor in if they’ll flare up or not. My little guy’s skin becomes really irritated due to rough fabrics, but we have come to love these Organic Cotton Terry Hooded Towels from the Gerber Brand White Essentials line at Target – they are just the right texture and they don’t leave any residue behind so the fabric is really quite perfect for his skin! It is made of a soothing cotton terry fabric blend and offers a built-in hood for drying their hair. I usually wrap my guy up right out of the bath and then keep him wrapped, and only pull out the part of the body I am “working on” to keep the other areas covered and holding in moisture. These are the perfect size for this and they come in a 2-pack which is great for any mom, but especially us twin moms! Also being that it is made with organically grown cotton you really can’t beat the price that they are for such good quality material! They’re available right at your local Target and Target.com so purchasing is super easy! ALSO, just a note: it is best to pat your baby’s skin dry (but not too dry before doing the following!)
- It is important to get them moisturized immediately after you take them out of the bath. I usually do spot treatment with EUCRISA but then I use Vanicream Skin Cream ALL over his body. The great thing about this skin cream is that it comes with a pump top, which is super important when dealing with such sensitive skin because when you’re using containers that you reach your hands inside of and scoop out you’re adding bacteria from your hands every time which can contaminate the lotion and cause issues. It is best to use the palm of your (clean) hands to add the moisturizer on the baby’s skin in a downward motion. I like to leave a thick coat on their skin because it gets absorbed by the time we make our way to their bedroom and they need all the extra moisturizer their skin can get!
- Cover Up The Skin: We do pajamas right after the bath to really hold that moisture in. You can see exactly how we dress our babies for bed time in my previous post found HERE – we LOVE using these Gerber Sleep N’ Plays from the Gerber Brand Fashion Baby Apparel Line at Target, because they’re the perfect layer to add under their sleep sacks and come in super affordable 3-packs right at your local Target and Target.com! The material is great for my guy’s skin because it is breathable and lightweight (I have found that any sort of sweating seems to irritate his skin as well!) Cover up that freshly moisturized skin and let the process above work to heal and relieve your baby’s’ skin in the hours to come!
- Gerber Baby’s Organic Cotton 2pk Terry Hooded Towel
- AVEENO Baby Fragrance Free Soothing Bath Treatment (also available as an add-on HERE)
- Vanicream Skin Cream
- Gerber Sleep N’ Plays’
Bath time for eczema prone babies can be effective in caring for their skin and it is all about technique and using the right stuff, so I hope this helps your little ones’ skin! If you have any other suggestions please post below! Enjoy!
Follow more of our journey: