Lola’s Big Girl Room Tour
Being the second child and born a mere 16 months after her older sister, Lola never technically got her own room. We moved our oldest to a “big girl room” about halfway through my pregnancy and when Lola was born we moved her directly into the existing nursery. Now that she is almost a year and a half we decided it was time to give her a space of her own! I teamed up with some great shops and got to decorating! So here is Lola’s big girl room reveal!
The theme that was decided on was “Whimsical.” I imagined a dreamy place for Lola to relax and play filled with inviting colors and mythical creatures. I quickly focused on mermaids and unicorns and adorned the room in pink and mint. The colors worked so well with each other and the pre-existing wall color left from the nursery. Although Lola is still in her crib at the present moment I wanted to make the feature of this room that beautiful framed house bed we had locally designed and made. Once we transition her to her new bed we will remove the crib and which will open that space up a bit. This big move should be happening over the next few months as my older daughter was transitioned to the same floor style bed around this age (15 months). You can read about her transition here.
The bed itself is a statement piece but what really catches everyone’s eyes right away is the beautiful ‘Moon & Star Cloud Mobile’ by Baby Jives. My main focus for her room was to inspire imagination and promote healthy sleep patterns. The floor bed itself is designed to be easily accessible to her thus making it a spot that is inviting and relaxing but the cloud mobile is the icing on the cake! As she lies there looking up she is sure to be relaxed with it’s gentle spins and twirls. There is nothing more tranquil than that!
At first glance you will notice the complete lack of toys in her room. This is because although she does play in her room, it is more of a place for her to grow her imagination. There is nothing battery operated in this space. Instead everything in her room promotes open-ended play, meaning everything in there is only operated by her imagination! We have a playroom with plenty of the other stuff but the girl’s bedrooms are not the place for them. When it comes time to sleep I want them to focus on their natural body queues and having less of a distraction will help with that. I stocked her room with her favorite books, some cuddly plush friends and a few wooden toys that she loves and that is it. If the house ever gets a bit too hectic or the days become long, I want this space to be hers. Hers to dream, to relax to imagine!
Here is how you can re-create this comfy oasis for your child!
- Bed: Designed with help from me & created locally in Pinellas County Florida by Lumber & Letters // FREE DIY Plans HERE
- ‘Moon & Star Cloud Mobile’ by Baby Jives
- Bed textiles + accessories:
- Mermaid Sheets: Pottery barn Kids
- Twin Size Muslin Blanket: Lost Boy Goods
- Mermaid Tail: Crochet for Madilyn
- Standard Pillow Case “Dreaming of a Mermaid Lagoon”: Root Avenue
- Personalized Name Pillow: Snuggly Lil Babes
- Toddler Pillow cases: OSusannah
- Knitted Letter Pillow: Through The Wood
- Personalized Doll Pillow: Asher + Olive
- Wall Hangings (Inside the Bed Frame):
- Rug: Restoration Hardware Kids
- Curtains, basket & side table: Target
- Willow the Deer: Cuddle + Kind
- Teepee area:
- Toy Bin:
- Play mat: I technically keep this IN the toy bin above but these play mats by Handmade Happiness by Ruth are just perfection! We take these out to eat, in the car, or even for quiet imaginative independent play before nap times. These are a favorite of mine AND my girls!
- Bow Bar: Belle + Blush
- Arrows: Target Pillowfort
- “For This Child I Prayed” sign: Burlap Blondie
- Mermaid Signs: Etsy (Seller is unfound now)
- Crown on Jellycat Bunny: Presh Toast Crowns
- Ballerina Flats: My Beautiful Little Shop
- Piggy Bank: My Uncle/Aunt’s Learning Express store
- Sign over crib: “What if I Fall” Homespun Signs
- Crib: Pottery Barn Kids
- Name Blanket: Boca Baby
- “Play with Fairies” Sign: Mini Learners
- Baby Book: Milestone Baby
- Changing Station:
- The Smart Changing Pad: Hatch Baby
- House Shelf: Target
- Diapers + Wipes: Parasol! Seriously the comfiest “diapers” around!! You can get 20% off your first bundle by using code OHHAPPYPLAY or clicking here!
- “L” Sign: Burlap + Blue
- Baby Pibu: I have recently become obsessed with their line of baby products and I keep a stock of them around. This house shelf is the perfect display for easy access at diaper changes!
- The changing table itself is from Pottery Barn Kids
That should cover it all! If there is anything you’re dying to know that I did not mention please let me know! I hope you love her room as much as we do.
Photo Cred: Kaley D Photography
[ This is a sponsored post that contains affiliate links. All decor choices and combinations are my own]